Monday, April 25, 2022

Blog 9 : EOTO Illusory Truth Effect

         For our group EOTO project we were given the topic, theories. I chose to do my research on the illusory truth effect. The illusory truth effect is also known as the illusion of truth. This theory is when false information is repeatedly heard, which causes us to believe that the false information is actually in fact true. Deep down, we probably know the false information is incorrect and not realistic, but due to high exposure and repetition, it persuades us to reconsider our beliefs. According to an FS blog called “The Illusory Truth Effect : Why We Believe Fake News, Conspiracy Theories and Propaganda” discussed how this theory was first introduced in 1977 by Temple University psychologist, Dr.Lynn Hasher and her team. As a result, they conducted a study where they presented 60 statements and asked students to rate how certain they felt if it was true or false. However, their findings were not as accurate as they would have liked, they felt “subsequent research has confirmed its findings” (FS Blog). I also read an article on Psychology Today, which covered the illusory truth effect and stated, “the illusory truth effect tends to be the strongest when statements are related to subject about which we believe ourselves to be knowledgeable, and when statements are ambiguous such that they aren’t true or false at first glance” (Psychology Today). Therefore, what makes this theory so unique is how it causes us to reconsider our beliefs even though we may have prior knowledge with the topic being covered.


        This theory affects society as a whole because information is constantly being exchanged, especially fake news. Fake news quickly spreads which creates tension and or controversies amongst parties. These fake news can be damaging to people's views and seen as “ different”. This can be frustrating to read or understand why people may follow these fake articles. For example, this is heavily prevalent in social media use today. I know we are probably guilty of seeing something online which is completely untrue but continue to read it and somewhat believe it. I know I have seen articles or ads for products which I know is probably a hoax. According to an ADock Solutions article called “The Illusory Truth Effect” affects customers' minds. The article stated that “shoppers frequently encounter ‘false claims’ in the form of consumer advertisements and brand attributes and subsequently fall victim to the illusory truth effect” (ADock Solutions).


        Due to this constant sharing, I am guilty of buying into these products. I once believed since everyone was raving about the products they would benefit me too, but in reality they weren't . Often it can also be a scam. However, the illusory truth effect does benefit the advertising aspect. Customers will see these shared news more frequently and will start to believe they won’t be seen as “cool” without them. This activity increases sales and the company's perception in the market.



        This theory affects me because like I said at times I am guilty of slipping into these lies when I know deep down that I shouldn't. I know I need to be more aware of what I'm reading and making sure the information that I am getting is coming from a trusted source. I feel especially in today’s younger generations we are too caught up on social media and electronic use. Therefore, we get too wrapped up in drama and get carried away at times. 


Sources:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/psych-unseen/202001/illusory-truth-lies-and-political-propaganda-part-1

https://fs.blog/illusory-truth-effect/

https://www.adcocksolutions.com/post/what-is-the-illusory-truth-effect










No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog 12 : Final Presentation

          My relationship with technology first started when I was in the fifth grade. My parents surprised my sister and I on Christmas and...