Friday, March 25, 2022

Blog 3 : Eight Values of Free Expression

        After discussing the eight values of free expression in class, I feel the one that is most key is individual self-fulfillment. Individual self-fulfillment focuses on human liberty and freedom of speech. Here in the US, we are allowed to think, believe, and speak our minds freely! However, there may be people who disagree with you, but that’s ok. With the help of the government and the first amendment, your rights are protected. In other words, the government cannot tell you what to believe in or what to say. I feel this theory most resonates with me because I enjoy having the freedom and ability to believe in whatever I want. I enjoy posting my opinions online and am not afraid to speak up about how I feel. Individual self-fulfillment allows me to showcase my opinions openly and advocate for myself. However, I believe our freedom doesn’t give us the right to be disrespectful. I believe our society has the responsibility to act in an ethical manner and understand the power of our words. We witnessed this during our 2020 election. The careless use of words arguably contributed to the riots at the US Capitol on January 6th. 

        Freedom has multiple points of view. As a country we can interact with these different expressions and find others who share similar views. I enjoy hearing from people or different groups who offer opposing opinions. Learning these different perspectives, I can expand upon my own knowledge. I have seen this greatly within the past year with the rise of COVID numbers and the vaccine debate. Having been hospitalized with Covid and experienced the isolation that goes along with it, I am very much a supporter of the vaccine. However, I feel people should have the choice whether to be vaccinated. Our government should not have the power over individual healthcare. I feel everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if someone does not agree, who are we or the government to judge them for it. Society should be able to hear both sides of the vaccine mandate without fear or retribution. 

                          


As I researched some free speech cases, I found a New York Times article, about a former cheerleader, Brandi Levy. Levy did not make her high school's varsity cheer team and decided to take anger and frustration out using social media. Her post was quickly shared and brought to the school's attention. Levy’s post resulted in her getting suspended from the team for an entire year. Levy was angered and voiced her objections to her discipline in the school district. Sadly, the school didn’t waiver on its decision. Levy’s case eventually went to the Supreme Court. It was determined that since there was not a threat to the school, to an individual, and took place after school hours and off property that the school district violated Levy’s freedom of speech. As much as I dislike the manner in which she expressed herself she did have a basic right to do so.


                


Levy won the case. In the article it states that, “the court said the First Amendment did not allow public schools to punish students for speech outside school grounds, relying on precedent from a different era” (Liptak). I agree with the court, students should be able to express their emotions freely. Schools do not have the authority to censor students outside of school hours unless a direct threat was made to another student or staff member. David Cole, a legal director of the American Civil Liberties Union, also represented Levy in court. Cole stated in the article, “the case was a triumph for the First Amendment. Protecting people’s free speech rights when they are outside of school is vital” (Liptak). He also said that “this is a huge victory for the free speech rights of millions” (Liptak).  I agree with Cole, students need to voice their opinions when something is unfair within their school district. In school, students need to be respectful when voicing their opinions with their peers, teachers, and administrators without fear of punishment. This is a fundamental right guaranteed under the First Amendment. 


Sources:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/23/us/supreme-court-free-speech-cheerleader.html

 

 

 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog 12 : Final Presentation

          My relationship with technology first started when I was in the fifth grade. My parents surprised my sister and I on Christmas and...